Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Wednesday 12 August 2020

Decolonising dermatology: why black and brown skin need better treatment

During my medical training, it was almost always assumed that my patients would be white. That prejudice is harmful in its own right – and when it comes to dangerous skin conditions, it can be deadly. By Neil Singh

As I sat making small talk with my patient, I was trying not to think about the ants. It was “flying ant day”: that moment every summer when the heat inspires thousands of ants to grow wings and swarm in their thousands, mating mid-air in a huge, frenzied orgy. My only source of cool air was a skylight, but having it open meant that every so often stray black garden ants were dropping between me and my patients, making me jumpy.

My patient was a rangy black man, early 40s, with hair just starting to grey at the temples. He looked younger than he was, wearing a black T-shirt and cut-off denim shorts. It was well into music festival season, and he wore several wristbands to prove it. I asked what kind of music he was into. It turned out he was not just a music fan; he was a roadie and gig manager. He had come in to ask me about his skin. He lifted up his T-shirt, showing me his chest, and I was shocked to see a splash of rough, silvery patches all over his torso.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/321ntXR

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot