Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Saturday 11 July 2020

The best interviewees? Give me an actor in their winter years with a few scores to settle | Hadley Freeman

Older stars make the best subjects, and Carl Reiner will live on in my pantheon of greats

It was just by chance that I was the last person to interview comedy legend Carl Reiner, who died last week, four months after I spent an evening with him and his best friend, Mel Brooks, at Reiner’s home in Beverly Hills. This was not my first final interview: I’m pretty sure I was the last journalist to interview Burt Reynolds, and I was surely the last to interview Kirk Douglas, 100 when I met him, in his home, just down the road from Reiner’s.

It’s possible there were more. It’s a professional peril if you prefer to interview the old rather than the young, as I do. Once a celebrity gets over 70, they shake off whatever shackles of propriety once contained them and really enjoy themselves. If you imagine it’s people like Johnny Depp or Mickey Rourke who give publicists headaches, you’ve never met a celebrity in their winter years with a few scores to settle.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2CskHkV

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot