Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday 4 June 2020

Trying to convince myself I'll be OK: thoughts from a young black man

There is no promised land to escape to: black Americans want our lives to matter and to live them, abundantly, here

I spent last weekend thinking about what makes me different from Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and George Floyd. I was trying to convince myself that “I’ll be OK” – that under similar circumstances, I would experience a different outcome. How much larger of a smile do I need to stretch across my face when I walk through whiter neighborhoods? How much more polite can I be to a police officer who only sees the darkness of my skin? These are the questions that have wrestled control of my mind.

I spent the weekend asking myself what I can do to avoid becoming another name flashing across the news ticker as the latest black person killed for essentially just trying to live. But I always stop myself from fully answering that question because I know the answer is nothing.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3ePrJye

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot