Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Friday 22 May 2020

Experience: I’m stranded in a ghost town

I found a VHS copy of The Shining left by a previous owner. I can’t bring myself to watch it

I got a text from a friend at 2am one night in the summer of 2018. It said: “Wanna buy a ghost town?” I thought it was a weird joke, but I clicked on the link and started reading about Cerro Gordo. It was a piece of American history straight out of a wild west movie: an abandoned 19th-century silver-mining town about 200 miles from Los Angeles. At its height, it had about 4,000 residents, mostly miners who spent their time seeking their fortunes and drinking a lot. There was a history of gun fights; at one point police were reporting a murder a week. There’s a rumour that Butch Cassidy hid out there for a while.

When the mines closed in the 1930s, almost everyone left and the abandoned town changed hands several times. Now there was just a caretaker called Robert who has kept watch over the town for 21 years, protecting it from the occasional looting attempt, and the whole town was for sale.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2zojJ8n

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot