Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Friday 3 April 2020

'What I got wrong was trying to be a teacher': how to last the distance at home schooling

It’s a challenge to keep up the momentum when tempers are fraying. Here parents and experts share their tips

On the first day of home schooling, my eight-year-old daughter read a book about Ancient Egypt for 30 minutes then spent the rest of the day bouncing on the trampoline dressed as a badger while simultaneously trying to soak the cats with the garden hose. My 11-year-old daughter mostly did maths problems on IXL, a virtual learning website, when she wasn’t making toast. This wasn’t quite what my husband and I had planned.

Our first act as home educators had been to devise a detailed timetable that included two PE sessions (trampolining, skipping, cat chasing), creative and “journaling” time, den-making, cosy reading time, as well as three hours of academic work, all divided into 45-minute segments. But somehow the hours slipped away along with my intentions as I tidied, cooked, cajoled, shouted, checked my phone, and got absolutely no work done (despite multiple deadlines). By 4pm I felt we all deserved a break, so declared the school day complete and turned on the TV.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2JBEpLx

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot