Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday 30 April 2020

UK coronavirus live: Boris Johnson to lead daily briefing for first time since illness

Robert Buckland says government would have been criticised if target had been unambitious, while Boris Johnson will take daily briefing later

A flypast is helping to mark the 100th birthday celebrations of Captain Tom Moore, the second world war veteran who has been elevated to national hero status and raised almost £30 million for the NHS.

Moore, who captivated the country with his fundraising effort to walk 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday today, smashed his initial target of £1,000.

I’m one of the few people here who has seen Hurricane and Spitfires flying fast in anger. Fortunately today they’re all flying peacefully.”

Reaching 100 is quite something. Reaching 100 with such interest in me and huge generosity from the public is very overwhelming. People keep saying what I have done is remarkable, however it’s actually what you have done for me which is remarkable.

I felt a little frustrated and disappointed after I broke my hip and it knocked my confidence. However, the past three weeks have put a spring back in my step. I have renewed purpose and have thoroughly enjoyed every second of this exciting adventure, but I can’t keep walking forever.

The donations page will close at midnight this evening. NHS Charities Together still have their urgent appeal, so people can donate to them that way. I am going to spend my birthday with my family, both here in person and with my daughter remotely, and then I am going to have a few days’ rest. My legs may be tired, but my mind is racing and I’m hoping to be back very soon with other ways in which I can help people, help others. Please always remember, Tomorrow Will Be A Good Day.”

A cabinet minister has acknowledged that the government may not meet its target of 100,000 daily coronavirus tests by the end of the month.

After intense criticism, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, pledged the country would be conducting the tests by the end of April but, with only 52,429 carried out in the 24 hours to yesterday, the justice secretary, Robert Buckland, has now conceded it might not happen. He told BBC Breakfast:

Even if it [the target] isn’t met, we’re well on our way to ramping this up and 100,000 is an important milestone, but frankly we need more.”

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3aW7QDv

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot