Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Tuesday 3 March 2020

‘You look great for your age’ – and other compliments to avoid

Kristin Scott Thomas is fed up of having to say thank you when someone says she’s still got it. And there are plenty of other comments that are apt to backfire

Chris Matthews, one of the US’s best known news anchors, has summarily quit his job at MSNBC following complaints about his reported remarks to a female guest. They are quite something, when you see them all written down. “Why haven’t I fallen in love with you yet?”, the journalist Laura Bassett says he asked her in the makeup room. She wrote in GQ: “When I laughed nervously and said nothing, he followed up to the makeup artist. ‘Keep putting makeup on her, I’ll fall in love with her.’”

What is wrong with this “compliment”? It’s in the classic negging style, the quick one-two: one, clearly you are highly desirable, otherwise why would a man such as myself expect to have fallen for you? Two, there is room for improvement, quick, put some more makeup on, then my animal urges might overcome me. Negging objectification is the worst kind, containing that catastrophic hubris, “You, lady, will be so thrilled by my partial desire that you’ll be instantly looking for tips on how to increase it.”

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/39jw3Dr

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot