Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday 12 March 2020

Which family member gets health coverage? Let's pull straws

What do you do when your child is benefiting from very expensive therapy you struggle to afford? Sacrifice your own insurance

When the session was over, our new therapist tried to scan her Venmo code, but there was a glitch with my bank account attached to our Venmo. Even though I knew, because I’d checked before we came, that the $305 this session cost was in our account, I started to sweat. She is only doing her job, I told myself, having been a person who charges hourly rates and had to collect them. Then the payment, for whatever reason, finally was able to go through. She’s worth every penny, I reminded myself, as my daughter and I gathered up our shoes and coats in the light-filled waiting room, complete with a wooden dollhouse.

Two years ago, through a program that our daughter’s pre-K teacher recommended, we agreed to be a part of a city-wide study that granted our daughter a course of tests over a period of months at no cost. (This kind of testing would usually cost about $2,500). We got a diagnosis of ADHD for our now seven-year-old. None of the other psychiatrists we needed to continue helping our daughter takes insurance, said the doctor who gave us the diagnosis. The doctor she recommended most strongly, and, how could I help myself, the one I immediately felt we needed to see, cost $395 an hour.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2IELr1A

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot