Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Sunday 29 December 2019

I’m home for Christmas – but hardship has sucked the spirit out of Zimbabwe

After years in exile, my hopes for a joyous family reunion were dashed by the country’s miserable economic situation

My brothers and I leapt out of bed at the first glimmer of dawn on Christmas morning – and there they were. Every Christmas of my childhood that I can remember, the shiny black school shoes were neatly lined up by the door. A new pair for all of us. Then came the new clothes proudly presented by my parents – the fruit of long hours of labour. And then, in our new finery, off we went to church. The long sunny hours of Christmas Day, usually with a brief but refreshing afternoon thunderstorm, were spent at huge family gatherings, feasting on chicken and rice, washed down with an array of brightly-coloured soft drinks – cherry plum, cream soda and Fanta orange.

As the years went by and independence came to Zimbabwe, many things changed. But Christmas traditions remained much the same, with big gatherings to which people travelled many miles, new clothes, lots to eat and drink.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2MDQdyI

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot