Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday 11 July 2019

Pop sensation Dorian Electra: 'I'm not a woman dressing as a man. It's more complex'

The gender-fluid star talks about performing as a stripper, giving queer people strength and dressing up as Bono

Invariably, queer pop stars worship David Bowie, and Dorian Electra is no different. “My dad got me into Bowie from a really young age,” they say. “I looked up to androgynous rock stars.” What’s less common is worshipping Bono. “He was one of my heroes as a kid. I know, funny: everyone hates him. But I really loved him, and used to dress up as him. That was one of my first experiences in what I guess you could call drag, but I would call dressing up. I performed the song Vertigo, just for my family – I drew on a little beard with my stepmom’s eyeliner.”

And so, with a home performance of a U2 song, Electra set off on the way to becoming the most lively and witty new pop star of 2019. Assigned female at birth but now defining as gender-fluid, they are about to release their debut album: a brilliant collection of ultra-synthetic, cartoonishly masculine pop, delivered wearing a perfect pencil moustache.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2XUojFL

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot