Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Wednesday 29 May 2019

Europeans used to ignore their parliament. Not any longer | Caroline de Gruyter

Young people are suddenly interested: they understand that cooperation is the only way to tackle Google, or the climate

I’ll never forget my first visit to the European parliament, in 1986. I was a student from the Netherlands. MEPs from 12 member states were discussing a report on broadcasting policy – thick as a brick, full of jargon and endless footnotes – including proposals to break up national television channels, many of which enjoyed monopolies back then. For me, this was boring. All I cared about was funnelling it all into my thesis and graduating. For millions of people who spent hours in front of their TV it was potentially a huge issue – if only they’d known about it.

Related: This is Europe: stay close with the Guardian’s email updates

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://bit.ly/2HJij9N

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot