Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday 14 March 2019

The school-to-prison pipeline is getting worse for black and brown girls | Jaquira Díaz

In the US, black and Latinx girls are disproportionately punished and assaulted by school administrators for simple infractions such as showing emotions

More than 20 years ago, when I was a 12-year-old queer kid coming to terms with her sexuality, I ran away from home. It was after school had let out for the summer, and I spent two weeks in the Florida Keys, joyriding with neighborhood boys, sleeping under a stilt-house restaurant and smoking cigarettes. I was an angry, depressed girl who had spent her childhood pretending to be someone else – except when I found myself in my school’s music room. I took guitar and voice lessons, sang in the school chorus and Christmas musical, played the piano. I spent hours writing song lyrics in composition books, choreographed song-and-dance routines for school talent shows. If there was music involved, I was there.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2VXHNo4

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot