Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Tuesday 5 February 2019

Liam Neeson’s interview shows that for some, black people are still not fully human | Gary Younge

When an actor admits to looking for a black man to murder, racism is not some historical problem. We are still fair game

“When I was coming up in Mississippi I never knew it was against the law to kill a black man,” the late Buford Posey told me when he was 79. “I learned that when I went in the army. I was 17 years old. When they told me I thought they were joking.” I was grateful for his candour. Back in the day they used to call it “nigger hunting”. A posse of “good ol’ boys” would head out in search of a black man to pay the price for his melanin and their inadequacies. It was a relief to have a white person offer an honest reflection on the racial mores of the time.

Related: Liam Neeson: after a friend was raped, I wanted to kill a black man

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://bit.ly/2HW1HOe

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot