Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Sunday 15 July 2018

‘I broke the contract’: how Hannah Gadsby's trauma transformed comedy

In her show Nanette, the Australian standup speaks out about homophobic and sexual violence – the set is now a Netflix sensation. She opens up about shame, rage, her autism diagnosis and the meaning of Louis CK

During the live run of Hannah Gadsby’s standup show, Nanette, she found herself sleeping 15 hours a night, then taking naps during the day. “I got bronchitis in London,” she says. “A tooth wrenched out in Edinburgh. Then I got carbon monoxide poisoning from the flat in New York. I was Googling ‘neurological disorders’, I had the tremors and my speech was slurring. I kept telling people I was really tired, texting them coffin emojis, and they’d say: ‘Of course you are, this show is exhausting.’”

But she doesn’t think you should really suffer for your art. Well, not any more. “I’m against that theory,” she says firmly.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2uz6CuH

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot