Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Friday 15 June 2018

No, Facebook, I won’t be back. I’ve seen the dangers of habitual sharing | Emma Brockes

Emerging from the grey brain-state felt like a restoration of the natural order, where memories are allowed to fade

The best thing about quitting Facebook, I have discovered, has been the platform’s increasingly frantic efforts to win me back. It has been two months since I last checked my feed, during which time Facebook has sent me notifications I didn’t sign up for, informing me every time someone posts, and invited me to attend locally organised focus groups. Ignoring these overtures has given me at least as much pleasure as checking the site ever did.

Of course, I am anthropomorphising a machine; no one is in charge of all this. But the small satisfaction of imagining the behemoth scratching its head and wondering how anyone can resist the invitation to get sucked back in is immense. As is this: the sense of new acres of mind opening up.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2LUcAxl

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot